Role: Senior Legal Officer - Property
Department: Chief Executive's Department
Connect2Luton are excited to recruit a Senior Legal Officer - Property on behalf of Luton Borough Council within their Chief Executive's department.
Main purpose of position:
To assist in the provision of an effective, efficient comprehensive and professional in-house legal service to the Council in respect of all aspects of property work.
To provide succinct and clear legal advice to Members, senior officers and external clients which is practical and solution focussed.
To ensure the efficient and effective execution of the Council's legal work arising from decisions of the Council, its committees and the day-to-day operation of its Services.
As a Senior Legal Officer - Property, you will be responsible to:
- To undertake all aspects of the undermentioned legal and support tasks in an efficient and effective manner with appropriate supervision ensuring all tasks and responsibilities are completed to agreed timescales with a high standard of accuracy
- Handle a varied caseload of in-house plot sales from start to finish to include receiving instructions, sending a contract, and legal pack to buyers' legal representatives, review and adequately dealing with enquiries, progressing to exchange and completion, dealing with all exchange, completion, and post completion formalities.
- Assist with the preparation of the Site Set Up and the Legal Pack including collating all relevant information, and drafting the contract with supervision.
- Dealing with disposals of small parcels of freehold land including drafting of appropriate documentation and dealing with replies to requisitions on title and all searches raised by the Buyer's Solicitors.
- Dealing with acquisitions of the freehold and leasehold titles in land and property, including the drafting of appropriate documentation, ordering routine property searches dealing with HM Customs & Revenue regarding Stamp Duty Land Tax and registration of the Council's or its wholly owned companies title at the Land Registry.
- Drafting preparing, and amending documents in relation to but not limited to land transfers, leases, licences, tenancy agreements, tenancies at will, wayleave agreements, easements, rent reviews, deeds of surrender, variation, rectification, release, covenant, deferred payment agreements in accordance with the Care Act 2014 and other miscellaneous transactions.
- Investigating title issues and preparing title reports including dealing with title check requests prior to a disposal, to advise as to whether or not the title is sufficient for the disposal envisaged and advising on all implications and matters arising from that title check which would prevent the disposal.
- Negotiating, preparing and completing Licences and other documents in relation to commercial leaseholds.
- Conduct legal research.
- Keep up to date with relevant law and policy.
- Carry out such other tasks as required by the Principal Solicitor or the Head of Legal Services.
Skills and Experience
- In-depth experience of dealing with residential and commercial conveyancing
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively in both oral and written English with colleagues and the public
- Able to meet deadlines and deal with time pressured projects
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- High level of attention to detail
- Able to manage a mixed caseload of residential and commercial property matters with minimum supervision
- Thorough knowledge of English land law relevant to conveyancing
- Law degree or alternative degree followed by Graduate Diploma in Law
- Agile/Flexible working to suit service needs
Luton Borough Council have partnered with Kent County Council to create Connect2Luton, a recruitment managed service for all contingent temporary agency, contract, and interim roles at the Council.
Our heritage and being local government owned which means we have a wealth of knowledge and expertise within the public sector, with many of our employees having previously worked for the Council or have supplied previously into the Council, for several years.
We are an equal opportunities employment agency and business that positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.
Connect2Luton, part of Luton Borough Council & Kent Commercial Services LLP, is an equal opportunities Employment Agency & Business and positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.